Friday, January 20, 2012

Food!






I'm sure you are all shocked that I haven't posted anything about the food here yet. The truth is we have been settling in to our apartment and cooking a little bit at home, which is an adventure in itself since I only have one electric hot-plate and one flimsy pan! However, we have eaten out a bit and we have seen many many many yummy looking things that we have yet to try. But here are a few photos anyway...
Last saturday we went out in service with the Thai congregation and afterwards, we all went to a local open-air restaurant and had some delicious beef noodle soup with basil. It is my favorite thing I have tried so far. They serve it to you and on the table are little bowls of vinegar, hot peppers, sugar and fish sauce that you put in according to your taste. I tried all of them and it was so good! We also had some thai iced tea which is delicious.
Later that same day, there was a bbq on the beach. As you can see, 2 little piggies were on the menu. So cute. So tasty:-) The other picture is of the Thai sisters making a papaya salad. Also at that bbq there were green and red coconut curries and tons of fruit. Originally, I was thinking maybe I would return to Oregon perhaps a bit thinner, but now I think I will be a little fatter:-( But at least I will get a tan. hahaha!

5 comments:

  1. i meant to add that the last photo was of some of the young thai brothers we were in service with. 2 of them are newly baptized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not see anyone having a tan yet. The food looks good! I wish I was eating the beef soup for lunch today. Toshi's Ramen may have to suffice though.

    I like the way they are cooking the pigs. I was in Portland a few years ago just around New Years. I was picking up Amy and some other friends to go to WA.

    While I was waiting outside for these skirts to get their makeup on and what not, I heard a man calling out to me from inside of his garage. So I went over and talked to him. He was older I would say in his 50's and the other man was like in his 70's I would say. Could have been father and son. Well they were sitting in there garage with a contraption like this roasting a pig over red hot coals. Smelled so good! They asked me to come back for some of the meat when it was done. I however was on my way out of town.

    I look back on this now as one of the greatest regrets of my life. I should have stayed there and feasted on the swine with these old dudes!

    Do not make the mistake I made! When someone offers you pig meat you accept it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! So happy its going so great! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good blogger! I love reading this and being able to check in with you two.....i feel like we talked;)Miss you!

    ReplyDelete