Saturday, February 11, 2012

Funky Monkeys






Jason wanted to know if we had seen any monkeys yet. Well I did a few weeks ago. I thought they were kind of gross so I never posted anything about them. But maybe you will like them. I dedicate this post to Jason Hernandez:-)
These particular gross little monkeys live on an island that is a 45 minute ferry ride from Pattaya. I went there with a group of sisters, (and one brother) a few weeks ago. Jake was home sick that day. The island is called Koh Larn. Apparently it has some decent beaches, but the beach we went to was famous because of the monkeys. People buy bags of bananas and feed the little guys. The result is a bunch of fat, sassy and rude little monkeys. All the girls in the group were excited about feeding them, they bought the bananas and all that. I was sad because I thought the bananas were for us...no really, I did. So everyone climbed the little embankment to feed the monkeys and I was the only one left down on the beach to watch. Now scenes from that new "Planet of the Apes" movie were still fresh in my mind but I didn't want to seem like an animal hater, so I went ahead and followed them. When we got up there, not only were there monkeys to gawk at, there were scantily clad European tourists as well (bonus points for whoever can spot the guy in what I am sure are his underpants!) Well like I said before, the monkeys were kind of rude and sassy. Once they realized our group had bananas, they began surrounding us. Then a couple of the monkeys jumped onto the backs of a couple of the girls in our group. Well, THAT was exciting. But then, the monkey that jumped onto Kristen's back decided to use her shoulder as a toilet. Number Two. Enough said. Once I saw that, I was like "I'm outta here". I couldn't leave fast enough! Fortunately, we were at the ocean and so Kristen was able to jump in and wash off. So you see what I mean about the monkeys being gross.
I would like to go back and visit that island, but I will steer clear of the monkey beach. And I will buy a bag of bananas and eat them myself!

1 comment:

  1. Well it is never a good idea to approach a wild animal let alone feed them. They are pretty cool though. But people should not feed them. It ruins them.

    These are Rhesus macaque monkeys.

    That is gross that he used the bathroom on her. I would have flipped out. But you do not want to freak out to much they could grab on to you and scratch your face up and bite at your scalp.

    ReplyDelete