Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hill Tribe Babies






There are several Hill Tribes in Northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar etc. Some of them you may have heard of or seen pictures of. The women who put the bracelets around their necks to elongate them? They are from the Karen tribe. Some of the other tribes are Akha, Lahu, and Hmong. The brothers and sisters in the picture from the zone meeting are from the Lahu tribe and have their little group here in one of the Chiang Mai Kingdom Halls. The Lahu language is written in roman letters, so we can actually read it (yay!) It still has tones though...
Interesting fact: (actually, now that I see the word "fact" written out like that, I am losing my confidence...so if i'm wrong in this, please tell me!) Ok, on to the alleged fact: The only Hmong congregations in the world (so far) are in the United States. They are either groups or congregations, I'm not "exactly" sure. But I DO know that there is one in California, Sacramento area. April told me! So there.
Anywhhhayz....sheesh i can be long winded. All I really wanted to do with this post was show you pictures of sweet little babies (as per Jenni's request). But since they are from the Hmong Village we visited, I thought I would get all teachy-teachy on you!

1 comment:

  1. St Paul has a Hmong congregation. I think they just had an assembly in Sacramento. The translation dept for the Hmong is based in Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete